Margery N. Somers
Margery N. Somers
Attorney Margery Somers has been with our firm for over a decade. She specializes in employment law, handling wrongful termination and cases dealing with discrimination because of gender, race, age, pregnancy and sexual harassment.
After graduating from UCLA, Ms. Somers received a Ph.D. from the University of Southern California and thereafter received her law degree from Whittier law school where she developed her interest in employment law.
A strong advocate for the disabled, Ms. Somers has emphasized supporting disabled employees in asserting their rights throughout her legal career. She additionally works with employees who are denied accommodations in the work place.
Recently, Ms. Somers was named as one of Southern California's Super Lawyer by Los Angeles Magazine and also in Law and Politics Magazine.
Since joining the firm in 1994, Ms. Somers has spoken to various interest groups on the rights of the disabled including the Americans with Disabilities Act and other related employment issues. She has served on the President's Committee for the Disabled in Washington, D.C. Ms. Somers is fluent in sign language.
Ms. Somers is committed to legal education and often is a guest speaker or panelist for the Los Angeles County Bar Association. She also speaks to various other professional groups in the field including mediators, employment lawyers and law students and authored several publications. Ms. Somers has also continued to support law students through mentoring programs. She has published in legal journals and other publications concerned with disabilities, evidentiary issues and crucial court rulings.
In that she has an extensive background in public service, this helps her better understand her clients' special needs, especially the needs of those who have suffered harassment and discrimination in the workplace. Also, Ms. Somers is committed to representing victims of high-profile personal injury cases and has handled the cases of several women who had been assaulted and/or raped.
Additionally, Ms. Somers represents high-level executives in contract disputes and focuses her efforts on diffusing often sensitive situations. Another focus of Ms. Somers' is handling multiple employees at the same work-site who have similar or related claims against their employer.
Year Joined Firm
Areas of Practice
- Civil Rights
- Employee Discrimination
- Sex, Race and Age
- Whittier Law School, Costa Mesa, California
- University of Southern California
- Ph.D. - 1978
- Major: Educational Psychology
- Co-Author, Disabilities, Evidentiary Issues and Crucial Court Rulings
Honors and Awards
- Southern California's SuperLawyers, Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazine, 2005
- Southern California's SuperLawyers, Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazine, 2006
- Southern California's SuperLawyers, Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazine, 2012
- Southern California's SuperLawyers, Law & Politics and Los Angeles Magazine, 2013
Professional Associations and Memberships
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, Panelist
- President's Committee for the Disabled, Washington, D.C.
- California Employment Lawyers Association, 2001 - Present
- Sign Language